Wednesday, February 2, 2011

DIY Paper Lantern

Hello internet!!! Our internet and power has been in and out these pass two days. Due to the icepocalypse I haven't been able to pick up all the supplies I need for Lunar New Year {which is tomorrow}. All the posts that I had plan for this week is going out the window {boo}. Despite the downside of the previous comment, this week has been rather nice and relaxing.

I got to have my friend Meaghan from Sweet Pea Events and Amanda my co-worker over for a little brunch on Monday before the Icepocalypse hit.




On Tuesday I got to stay in my PJ's all day {and today}. I did some crafting for Lunar New Year. This wasn't the project I had in mind, but it was quick and fun.





Here is a quick little diy tutorial for this paper lantern.



You'll need paper {I used a 12x12 scrapbook paper}, scissor, glue and paper cutter {not a must, it just make things quicker and easier}.



I cut the paper in half. You can keep it 12x12 if you want a bigger lantern.



I folded the paper hot dog style {do people still used this term?}.



I used my finger and make a crease along the folded line.



I cut half an inch away from the border and half an inch away from the top from the folded side up.



Keep cutting every half an inch till the end.



Open up the paper once you're done cutting.



Put glue {I used rubber cement} along the vertical edge on one side of the paper.



Bring the two vertical edge together.



Press it together for a few seconds or until the glue dry.



You can stop here, but I always like a handle for my paper lantern.



I cut a half inch strip from another scrapbook paper.



You can used the same color/pattern, but I always like to mix mine up.



Dab some glue on the two ends.



Glue the strip on opposing side of the lantern. I added a little paper flower to mine because I love details like that.



I put the lantern over some votive candles I had around the condo.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

{a hug and smile can turn a day around}