Thursday, April 14, 2011

DIY: Fabric Hoops



Please say hello to my new mantle. I spotted the idea of the fabric hoops from my friend Stefanie's pinterest {originally spotted on The Purl Bee} a while ago. I fell in love with the idea instantly, but didn't have time to put it into action until now.

Materials
To make one fabric hoop
  • A square of fabric, at least 2" wider than your hoop in all directions. I used scrap fabrics along with fabric quarters you can purchase from Joann for $1.99 {they're on sale right now for .99 cents}
  • A wooden embroidery hoop in any size {I got mine from Hobby Lobby and they were .79 cents - $1.99}
  • Elmer's or fabric glue of any type
  • Fabric scissor



  • Place fabric in the hoop, pull taught
  • I originally trim all the extra fabric, but after a couple of trials, I figured that it looks better if you leave a little bit of extra fabric. You can run a small line of glue around the inside hoop, just next to the fabric
  • Press fabric into glue, all the way around
  • Allow glue to dry
  • Trim fabric to edge of hoop



I also used one of my old favorite t-shirt from To Write Love On Her Arms that I can no longer fit in.




I wanted to add some more personal touch with something special to the hubby and I. We used this phrase a lot {almost as much as I love you} around our house. I made this with some rick rack from Joann and fabric glue, but I didn't like the way it turn out at all, so I"ll probably experiment with some more ideas.







It is still a work in progress because I haven't found a frame for my grandma picture yet. I'm also on the hunt for some less generic fabric, so I'll post the final product at a later date.

Do you have or know of any online fabric resource {on the cheap, please}? I"m making a trip to Ikea this Sunday, so maybe I'll find some fun and a bit more eclectic fabrics there.


10 comments:

  1. I love stuff you were working on last night! I can't wait to get BaNgoai a proper frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, i love your mantle! the fabric hoops make such great wall hangings, especially how you made each one unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to impress me. I wish I had your energy and stamina! Love what you're doing to your place Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I never would have thought of using embroidery hoops. Want to put my living room together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a fun idea - the grouping looks fabulous on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! Love the idea. I might try this!

    ReplyDelete

{a hug and smile can turn a day around}